Brooks School – Safe Routes to School Project has been added to the January Traffic Commission Agenda:
Tuesday, Jan. 14th at 2pm in the DPW meeting room at 21 James Street, Medford, MA.
As you are aware, the MassDOT project is proceeding with City involvement. Since there are traffic and parking impacts, it must go before the Traffic Commission for approval. MassDOT had previously presented this project to the community in the Medford City Hall Chambers on May 29, 2019 at the Design Public Hearing (DPH) (link).
Project highlights include:
- Curb extensions/bump outs facilitating shorter crossing and better sight lines.
- Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacons (RRFBs) for improved safety and awareness of pedestrian crossings.
- Installation of a new bike lane in the uphill direction and sharrows in the downhill direction.
- Removal of parking on south side of High Street (within project limits) to facilitate the new bike lane.
- New crosswalk(s), including at Auburn (per public comment)
- New splitter island at Woburn
Source: Medford Public Schools, https://www.medfordpublicschools.org/2020/01/13/safe-route-to-school-project-meeting/