Snow Emergency in Effect as of 8:00 pm Wednesday, March 21, 2018 Until Further Notice
- All vehicles must be parked on the ODD side of the street unless otherwise posted or exempted. All emergency arteries will have no parking until the snow emergency is lifted. Vehicles parked in violation shall be ticketed and towed. During the Snow Emergency, winter parking restrictions shall be in effect on all streets, 24 hours a day, until the Snow Emergency is lifted.
- This will make easier for our DPW to properly clean the streets with their equipment. We need to keep the roads accessible for emergency vehicles. As always, we appreciate your cooperation.
The following streets are designated as emergency arteries and parking is NOT ALLOWED during a snow emergency:
- Boston Avenue, Central Avenue, College Avenue from George Street to Boston Avenue, Forest Street, Fulton Street, George Street, Governors Avenue, Grove Street, Hancock Street, Harvard Avenue, Harvard Street, High Street, Lawrence Road, Main Street, Medford Street, Mystic Avenue from Main Street to Crescent Street, Playstead Road, Riverside Avenue, Salem Street, Spring Street, Washington Street, Webster Street, Willis Avenue, Winthrop Street and Woburn Street.
<!– MA DCR Parking Ban on State Roads
- There is no parking on the Fellsway, Fellsway East, and Fellsway West in Medford as of 7 pm Monday, March 12, until storm clean-up is complete
Trash and recycling pick-up
- There is no pick-up on Tuesday, March 13. Trash/recycling pick-up will be delayed by one day for the rest of the week.
Closures, Cancellations, & Postponements
- Medford City Hall, the Medford Public Library, and the Council on Aging will be closed on Tuesday, March 13
- There is NO SCHOOL Tuesday, March 13 AND Wednesday, March 14
- All City Council meetings will be rescheduled for March 20
- Community Development Block Grant meeting is now Tuesday, March 20, 12:30 pm, Medford Council on Aging, 101 Riverside Avenue
- Community Preservation Committee meeting is now Thursday, March 22, 6:30 pm, Medford DPW conference room, 15 James Street
- Traffic Commission meeting cancelled
Snow Policies and Procedures
- A snow emergency may be declared based on existing snow and predicted snow fall with pedestrian & public safety in mind. City officials will closely monitor storm forecasts through various channels and once a decision is made, we will provide necessary information to the community. Once a snow emergency is declared, residents will be notified via multiple lines of communication as provided below.
Communication of a Snow Emergency
- Alerts: Citywide alerts issued by phone, email, and/or text message to subscribed users. Community members are urged to subscribe to this system to receive updated information about these and other important messages from the City.
- Local media: Information is distributed to local and regional print, radio and TV news media for posting to their sites.
- Social media: Postings on City social media feeds, including Facebook- Mayor Burke’s Facebook page & City of Medford Facebook page and Twitter- Mayor Burke’s Twitter & City of Medford’s Twitter
- City website: Alerts posted to the City website homepage
Removal of snow and ice
- Please note: There is a new decision of the MA Supreme Judicial Court regarding the removal of snow and ice – landowners must reasonably make sure that their property is clear of any snow and ice that could cause injury to others, regardless of whether the snow came from Mother Nature or from a plow or other source.
- Note: the TENANT OR OCCUPANT is responsible for the removal of snow and ice from the sidewalk adjoining their property. If the property is unoccupied, the PROPERTY OWNER is responsible for this maintenance.
- Any person shall not throw or put, or cause to be thrown or put, any snow or ice into any street in the city.
Parking Spots Unofficially Reserved by Citizens
- ALSO (for those who attempt to reserve a public parking spot because they shoveled it) please NOTE: No Public Parking Spaces Are Reserved (unless officially posted). Saving parking spaces is a sensitive subject in any neighborhood, officially no objects can be placed on a city street for whatever reason to reserve a parking spot.